C1 Broker®

Claims Management Portugal | C1 Broker

The claims declaration service of C1 Broker: your trusted insurance broker in Portugal

Claims Management Portugal | At C1 Broker we are always looking for the quickest and easiest way to help you process your car, home, commercial, community, civil liability, etc… claim.
You can do all the paperwork online or visit our offices.

Phones Numbers to contact your Insurance Company / Travel Assistance in Portugal

Find a Car Repair Shop in Your Location to Repair Your Vehicle

You are currently viewing a placeholder content from YouTube. To access the actual content, click the button below. Please note that doing so will share data with third-party providers.

More Information

File your Claim

Declare claims online: fast and uncomplicated

What type of claim would you like to report? You can report your car or traffic accident claim, household claim, water damage, theft, fire, etc… Choose the type of claim and fill in the form below:

Accidents with Car - Motorbike - Van

Have you had a traffic accident? Submit your claim now!

Building & Household Claim

Have you had an accident at home or in the content or building of your home, community or business?

Civil Liability Claim

Does anyone claim the civil liability of an accident caused by you?

Work Accident Claims

Has one of your employees had an accident during working hours?

Useful Documents - C1 BROKER

EAS - European Accident Declaration

You can download the European Friendly Accident Declaration  document here. We recommend that you always keep a couple of printed copies in the glove compartment of your car or motorbike. If you wish, you can also come to our offices and we will give you a physical version of the document. If your mother tongue is not Portuguese or you live in an area with many foreign residents or tourists, we recommend you also print a copy in English and German to facilitate communication in the event of a claim. 

In Portugal, there are several ways of filling in the EAS – European Accident Declaration:

- Filling in the EAS - European Accident Declaration in paper form

Useful Documents - C1 BROKER

DADA - Friendly Declaration of Water Damage

The DADA – Friendly Declaration of Water Damage is a simple document that is easy to fill in. It usually consists of several sections where specific information about the claim is requested. This information includes details such as the date and time of the incident, the cause of the damage, a description of the damage suffered and other relevant information.

It is essential to fill in the DADA as accurately and clearly as possible, including all relevant details about the incident. The more complete the information provided, the easier it will be for the insurer to assess and process the claim efficiently.

DADA - Friendly Declaration of Water Damage

Find out about claims response times in Portugal

Nobody likes to wait, especially when it comes to motor claims. The days seem interminable, but do you know exactly what the insurers’ response times are, as regulated by law in Portugal?

Claims FAQs

Find answers to all your questions

The purpose of your insurance policy is to help you and to compensate you financially in the event of a loss.

If a loss covered by this policy occurs, we recommend that you do the following:

• Use all means within your power to minimise its consequences.

• Read the “Object and scope of the Insurance” section of your policy carefully and make sure that the loss really is covered.

• Contact us  and give a detailed explanation of what caused the loss and what its consequences are.

• Send the claim report form to us as soon as possible giving as detailed an account as you can of any damage sustained.

• Make a statement to the judicial authorities or report the incident to the police, depending on the type of claim, stating the date and time when it occurred, the causes, circumstances, damaged objects and an estimate of the damage.

C1 Broker informs you of your rights in Portugal: (Articles 35, 36 / Decree-Law no. 291 2007 of 21 August 2007)

  1. In the event of an accident and notification of a claim, the insurance company must act diligently and promptly in contacting the injured party: 2 working days (48 hours).
  2. Whenever it is notified that a motor vehicle accident has occurred, the insurer must “make initial contact with the policyholder, the insured or the injured third party within 2 working days and arrange for any expert opinions to be carried out”;
  3. Diligence and promptness of the insurance company in carrying out the expert opinions: between 10 and 22 working days from the date of the accident.
  4. Assumption of liability for material damage: 30 working days
  5. Assumption of liability in claims involving bodily injury: 45 days from the date the claim for compensation is made and if the medical discharge note has been issued and the damage is fully quantifiable.
  6. Submission of a Provisional Proposal: 45 days after the claim is made. If, after this 45-day period, the injured party is still on sick leave and the damage is not fully quantifiable, the insurance company’s assumption of liability “takes the form of a Provisional Proposal, in which it specifically names the amounts relating to expenses already incurred and the damage resulting from periods of temporary incapacity that have already elapsed”. (Article 37(2)(a) of Decree-Law 291/2007 of 21 August)
  7. Bodily injury examination: the insurance company has a deadline of 20 days after the claimant submits their claim for compensation to inform them if they wish to undergo a bodily injury examination or 60 days after the date of the accident if the injured party has not submitted any claim for compensation.
  8. Providing the injured party with the bodily injury assessment test and all the reports necessary to understand it: 10 days from the date on which the insurer has the test in its possession.
  9. Payment of compensation: unless otherwise agreed, the insurance company must pay the compensation within 8 working days from the date of assumption of liability. If the insurance company fails to pay the compensation within the set time limit, it must pay the injured party default interest, at double the legal rate, on the amount due and unpaid until payment is made (Article 43 of Decree-Law 291/2007 of 21 August).

When a client has a claim this is the moment to demonstrate that we are here to help you. In your C1 Broker agency we have a claims department that will help to process your claim and defend your interests. To declare a new claim, please fill out our forms providing as much information as possible,

  • To declare a Car Claim: Click here

  • To declare a Property Claim (Home, Business, Community, Hotel): Click here

You can also send us by email relevant photos, police statements, estimates, invoices or any paper work which will help to document the claim or pre existing content or building damage.

Our Claims department will start to work on your claim immediately and will contact you with the claim number and send when necessary, an assistance company or Adjuster.

We have prepared a summary about the system of claim management in Spain between Companies, Agreements and waiting periods. We hope you find it useful and help to solve any doubts.

In Portugal, you are free to choose the workshop and the date (day) of the expertise, but not the time. Your vehicle must be delivered to the workshop first thing in the morning (usually from 8.30 A.M.) and must remain there for the whole day or until the expertise takes place.


It is not possible to agree on an exact time for the expertise. The experts are on the road all day long and carry out several tests, so we can’t agree on an exact time. To avoid being without your car for a long time, the garage can call you as soon as they have finished their expert opinion (ask the garage to call you to collect your car).


If you don’t choose a collaborating garage, make sure it is properly equipped to carry out the repair. There are small garages that don’t offer painting or bodywork services, for example.


Remember that in Portugal, you are only entitled to one tow truck per claim (roadside assistance), so it’s important to choose the right repair shop from the outset.


The appraisal should always be carried out at the workshop where the repair is to be carried out. If you decide to change workshops, it may be necessary for the insurer to arrange a new expert opinion and this may incur additional costs (for the insured).

The EAS – European Accident Declaration – is the form used in the event of an automobile accident that has caused material damage and/or bodily injury. The document is designed to describe the occurrence and collect essential information from the insurers so that they can open a claim file. This form must be filled out at the site of the accident and must be signed by both parties involved. It can also be filled out electronically using the e-SEGURNET application, available for mobile phones, computers and tablets.

It’s important to clarify that the DAAA is only filled in when there are only two drivers involved in the accident and they agree on what happened and who is responsible. So if you can’t agree on who was responsible for the accident, it’s best to call the authorities (GNR or PSP).

The DAAA can be completed in two ways:

Digital – via the e-segurnet application, which you can install on your mobile phone or computer, or fill it in without being registered. Just answer the questions and follow the steps: https://www.e-segurnet.pt/api-rest-services/#/eseguro

Physical – Through the paper document that you should always have in your car. Fill in the fields on the front and back of the document and don’t forget that both drivers must sign it.

In order to provide you with a fast and efficient service in the event of a claim, we suggest that you contact us via our direct email address sinistros@c1broker.pt.

By using this option, we can respond to your enquiry in a much shorter time than if you contact us in any other way.

At C1 Broker, we take customer service very seriously and are committed to helping you with anything you may need.

Latest Blog Posts about Claims in Portugal: