C1 Broker®

How to File an Insurance Claim in Portugal (Car Accident) Things You Need to Know!

Network of Affiliated Car Shops of Fidelidade Insurance Company in Portugal – c1 Broker – insurance broker

We’ve all been there. You’re driving along, minding your own business, when suddenly something goes wrong. Whether it’s a distracted driver hitting your car, or a bad signalised construction site forcing you to swerve, or a dog running into the street causing you to brake suddendly, accidents can happen at any time. And when they do, it’s often Murphy’s Law that rears its ugly head.

Fortunately, if you have insurance, filing a claim might help relieve some of the financial stress. Of course, it depends on the kind of damage you face, but if you’re lucky and have the right insurance in place,  your insurance company could cover some or all the costs. So if you find yourself in an unexpected accident, don’t despair, breathe in and call your insurance broker – there may be some help available.


When the unthinkable happens and you need to file an insurance claim:

We’re here to tell you all you need to know about claiming insurance in Portugal, so that you can rest assured that you’re protected in case of the unexpected.

Depending on the type of damage you’re facing, filing an insurance claim might be the best course of action. For example, if your car has been damaged by a fire, your insurance policy will likely cover the costs of repairs. However, it’s important to note that different policies have different limits and covers, so it’s always best to check with your insurer beforehand to see what exactly is covered.

When it comes to filing an insurance claim in Portugal, the process is relatively straightforward. First, you will need to contact your insurer or broker and notify them of the situation. They will then send an adjuster to assess the damage and determine the extent of the coverage. Once the claim has been approved, you will receive a settlement from the insurer which can be used to cover the cost of repairs.

While no one likes having to file an insurance claim, it’s important to remember that it exists for a reason- to protect you from financial ruin in case of an accident or natural disaster. So if you find yourself in a situation where you need to make a claim, follow the steps outlined above and rest assured that you’re covered.



I had a road accident in Portugal: Shall i Call the Police?


So, you’ve had a fender bender. Or maybe you scraped your car along a wall. Either way, you now have a dent in your car that wasn’t there before. And of course, the first thing you want to do is call the police. But wait! In many countries, including Portugal, you can be fined for calling the authorities without a good reason. So, what should you do?

As a first step, try to solve the issue with the other driver. If you’re both calm and reasonably polite, you should be able to figure out who is at fault. Once you’ve done that, fill out a European Accident Declaration form. This will document the accident and help to ensure that everyone is on the same page.

Of course, if there are any injuries involved, you should call the police immediately. But if it’s just a minor fender bender, following these steps will help to avoid any unnecessary headaches – and fines.


Document your road accident with photos and videos


We’ve all been there before. You’re driving along, minding your own business, when suddenly another driver cuts you off and causes an accident. It’s a frustrating experience, but it’s important to remember that documenting the accident is crucial. Insurance companies will often require as much evidence as possible in order to process a claim, so taking photos and videos of the accident scene can be a big help. Not to mention, if there’s any disagreement about what happened, having visual documentation can be incredibly helpful in sorting things out. So next time you find yourself in a fender bender, make sure to snap away!


Also, if you take photos of all the other driver’s documents and their number plate, you will have all the evidence you need in case of a disagreement. This will save you a lot of time and hassle, and it will help to prove your case if necessary. These photos will serve as valuable proof in the event that you need to file a lawsuit. By taking some simple precautions, you can ensure that you have all the information and evidence you need to resolve a road accident in a timely and efficient manner. So next time you have a road accident, make sure to take plenty of photos!



Always fill in the EAD – European Accident Declaration


Any driver who is involved in a road accident in Europe is required by law to fill out a European Accident Declaration (EAD). This document, serves as a official record of the accident and can be used by insurance companies to process claims. The EAD must be completed in triplicate, with one copy going to the police, one to the insurance company, and one remaining with the driver.

While the form may seem daunting at first, it is actually quite straightforward. The first section asks for basic information about the accident, including the time, date, and location.

The second section asks for information about the vehicles involved, and the third section asks for information about the insurance policies of the drivers involved.

In most cases, the EAD can be completed quickly and easily. However, if there are any lingering questions or concerns, don’t forget to watch our video of How to fill in the EAD.

The  European Accident Declaration (EAD) is used by insurance companies to determine who is liable for the accident. While most drivers in Portugal companies will have Portuguese versions of the EAD, it’s always a good idea to have a translated version in your car as well. That way, if you get into an accident, you can quickly and easily fill out the form without having to worry about language barriers. And as a top tip, always make sure you have a copy of the EAD in your mother language so that you can be sure you’re filling out the form correctly. We can provide you with a translated copy of the EAD if you need one.


Shall you file an insurance claim or not?


Filing an insurance claim can be a tricky decision. If you’re at fault and there’s no other driver involved or third party that can claim against you, sometimes it’s better to consider if your should file a car insurance claim or not. In general, if the value of the damages are lower than your deductible, then you should not file the claim, but if it’s 2 or 3 times higher, than it makes sense.

But there are other factors to consider as well: most insurance companies will penalise your insurance bonus if you make too many claims in a year, and it is better to avoid an increase in premiums. However, if the damage to your vehicle is significant and would cause financial stress to repair, then it may be worth filing a claim. Remember, if you are at fault you will have to pay your deductible regardless of whether or not you file a claim, so this should also be taken into consideration.

We typically recommend that our clients file a claim in the following scenarios: when someone is injured; when it’s not clear who is at fault; when the other driver is at fault, or when they suffer a “total loss” or can’t afford to pay for the damages themselves. Of course, every situation is different and you may have other reasons for filing a claim. But in general, these are the times when it makes sense to reach out to your insurance company. Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to file a car insurance claim depends on your specific situation, in the end insurance companies are there to help policyholders recoup financial losses after an accident.


Here at C1 Broker, we have over 26 years of experience in solving claims in Portugal. So, if you’ve had a car claim or accident, don’t despair! We are here to help you and sort out all your doubts and questions. We know the ins and outs of the insurance industry, and we’re committed to getting you the best possible outcome for your claim.


Contact us today – we’re always happy to help! Fill in the following form and we will contact you ASAP:

Share in Social Media:

Network of Affiliated Car Shops of Fidelidade Insurance Company in Portugal – c1 Broker – insurance broker

Related posts: